School’s Out Washington (SOWA) in collaboration with community and Million Girls Moonshot developed two live trainings to support pathways and access for girls of color in STEAM through tangible resources and trainings for youth development professionals.
- Career Connected Learning: STEAM prominently exist in every community and culture – this training is designed to help widen our lens, resources, and project management skills to support developing Career Connected Learning opportunities for under resourced youth. The purpose of this training is to gain thoughtful strategies and techniques for embedding a decolonized approach to career connected learning projects, programming, and events.
- Designing Culturally Responsible Programming: During this training we will explore the what, why, and how a human centered design approach to curriculum development puts us in the best possible position to create continued practices for equitable, affirming, and responsive STEAM programming.
- Embedding a values system to human centered design thinking strategies for curriculum development for youth development professionals
- Support sustainability practices through
To increase opportunities for participation and geographic spread of these training modules and resources, SOWA is hosting a Training of Trainers (TOT) for both workshops. This TOT is geared towards those who have experience with training and who understand through lived experience and/or research how the intersection of race, class, and gender restrict access and opportunities to STEAM career pathways. We encourage all to apply and target BIPOC, gender, and/or geographic diversity across Washington state.
The TOT will take place March 22 – 24, 2022, virtually via Zoom
- March 22, 2022 Tuesday, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM PST
- March 23, 2022 Wednesday, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM PST
- March 24, 2022 Thursday, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM PST
In order to participate, you must agree to:
- Participate in all 3 days of the virtual TOT
- Attend + participate in each training workshop (hosted by SOWA) 2 weeks post TOT
- Facilitate a minimum of 1 of each training workshop in 12 months – for one’s own organization or as a contracted trainer for SOWA
- Optional – attend monthly facilitator learning labs (April – June)
- Applications will be accepted from January 18 – February 24. Applicants will be notified of acceptance into the TOT March 1, 2022. You can complete the application through Microsoft Forms here
- All applicants must have some experience facilitating and hosting group spaces, committed to understanding and dismantling the intersections of race, class, and gender in STEAM through access and opportunity.
- The cost of the TOT is free for participants thanks to partnership funding through Million Girls Moonshot ($1500 value) with an understanding that participants contract with SOWA to deliver these training workshops once a year.
For questions, please contact Janell Jordan at email@example.com