Expanded Learning Opportunities AmeriCorps VISTA
School’s Out Washington (SOWA) is an independent 501c3 organization serving the field of expanded learning throughout Washington State. School’s Out Washington is dedicated to building community systems to support quality afterschool, youth development, and summer programs for Washington’s children and youth ages 5 through young adulthood.
The VISTA member will work with the policy and advocacy team as well as professional development staff to increase access to career connected learning, STEM, and other expanded learning information. This will include facilitating SOWA’s Million Girls Moonshot work, improving the online portal of training and resources for STEM and career connected learning as well as working with the Washington State Department of Natural Resources on our joint youth education efforts. In addition, the VISTA will monitor and report on career connected learning efforts in the state and create communications distribution strategies related to STEM and career connected learning. Other duties include supporting SOWA’s broader communications and expanded learning provider support efforts.
Reports to: Policy & Advocacy Director
Location: 801 23rd Avenue South, Seattle, Washington 98144 (mostly virtual during the COVID-19 Pandemic)
- Become knowledgeable about expanded learning opportunities as well programming related to career connected and work-integrated learning and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) programming
- Research innovative practices and strategies that other cities have used to provide career connected learning and STEM programming
- Identify afterschool and summer programs that are doing elements of career connected learning
- Identify critical gaps of service and develop plans to increase knowledge of career connected learning amongst expanded learning providers
- Work with programs to identify and document operational barriers or policy obstacles and develop potential solutions to remove these challenges
- Work with the training team to develop a summit or trainings on implementing career connected learning
- Work with expanded learning providers and advocates to engage partners including and not limited to schools, workforce boards, businesses, and providers
- Staff the Network Career Connected Learning Subcommittee
- Develop resources and communications relating to career connected learning
- Support communications and other work of School’s Out Washington and the Washington Expanded Learning Opportunities Network.
- Commitment to addressing racism, sexism, heterosexism and other discriminatory practices
- Support ongoing organizational cultural competency;
- Serve as an ambassador to the organization at all times both formally and informally
- Answer telephone, respond to requests for information/resources and make referrals to outside resources
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent communication skills and positive customer service abilities
- Competencies: Community Organization, Education, Public Speaking, Communications, Youth Engagement, Writing/Editing, and Leadership.
HOURS AND BENEFITS
40 hours per week, Monday-Friday
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Classification: Non-Exempt
Program Start/End Date (with potential for a second year): January 2022 – January 2023 (flexible start date)
Relocation Allowance if currently living 50+ miles outside of Seattle
Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
Childcare assistance if eligible
*For details about AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service#healthcare_benefit.
School’s Out Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. School’s Out Washington has a commitment to addressing racism, sexism, heterosexism and other discriminatory practices and a commitment to working toward racial equity through undoing institutional and structural racism. Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should apply via the My Americorps webportal.
Contact: Tiyana B. Glenn
1101 14th St, NW, Ste. 700
Washington, D.C. 20005
Listing ID: 106833